Careers at Open Doors for Youth
POSITION OPEN: Case Manager
Open Doors for Youth is a drop-in resource center for youth ages 16-24 who are experiencing homelessness or housing instability. We provide immediate access to basic needs and offer case management as youth identify goals in the areas of education, employment, housing, and well-being.
Open Doors for Youth strives to create communities in which youth experiencing homelessness find hope and feel supported and valued.
To create a welcoming and safe environment for youth experiencing homelessness, we're working together we remove barriers, empowering youth to move towards positive and healthy networks of support, personal well-being, and housing stability.
Location: Elk River, MN (35 minutes from Twin Cities metro)
Category: Human Services and/or Youth Development
Job Type: Part-Time (24 hours/week), no evenings or weekends
Activity Area: Case management, outreach
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Closing Date: open until filled
The case manager will complete an intake with youth who visit Open Doors for Youth, support youth as they identify needs and establish goals, and provide case management and make connections to community service providers. The case manager will work in partnership with other staff, volunteers, and community service providers. The case manager plays a critical role in providing trauma-informed, youth-centered case management. The case manager will be expected to employ principles that align with youth work, including trauma-informed care, strength-based approach, positive youth development, and being journey oriented.
Case Management and Implementation:
▪ Conduct youth intake and determine basic and crisis needs, as well as long term needs.
▪ Assist youth in identifying goals in the areas of education, employment, housing, and well-being. Conduct regular follow-up to assess progress on goals.
▪ Track youth outcomes and progress, maintain daily case notes, documentation, and data collection.
▪ Assist youth in identifying current permanent connections to individuals in their support network, and lead them in exploring others who can serve as part of their network.
▪ Coordinate care and advocate for youth with community service providers.
▪ Provide transportation as needed.
▪ Develop trusting, consistent, supportive relationships with youth while maintaining professional boundaries.
▪ Respect the dignity of all youth who visit Open Doors for Youth, respect their journey and celebrate success towards self-identified goals.
▪ Maintain a high level of personal integrity and confidentiality.
Community and School Outreach:
▪ Develop an effective working relationship with community service providers. Possess working knowledge of basic programming and services offered.
▪ Actively network with school district personnel in ISD 728 and surrounding school districts to keep them informed of services provided by Open Doors and to provide outreach to youth in need.
▪ Actively network with service providers in Elk River and surrounding communities to provide outreach to youth in need.
▪ Research and explore additional avenues for outreach in rural MN.
▪ Work in partnership with other staff, volunteers and occasionally board members
▪ Assist in preparing reports as required by Open Doors and its funders.
▪ Complete and maintain timely and professional documentation for youth.
▪ Participate in staff meetings and training.
▪ Show leadership, thoroughness, and sound judgment when problem-solving and making decisions
▪ BA in social work or related field.
▪ Experience working with culturally diverse, marginalized youth. Experience working with and respect for communities of color and LGBTQ youth.
▪ Demonstrated ability to connect youth to community resources.
▪ Knowledge of county benefits and social services programs.
▪ Knowledge of addiction, mental health issues, domestic violence, and human trafficking.
▪ Understanding of and experience with positive youth development, trauma-informed care, strength-based approach, and harm reduction.
▪ Experience completing intakes, assessments, creating goal plans and tracking outcomes.
▪ Strong oral and written communication skills. Comfortable speaking to diverse groups of varying ages.
▪ Proficiency with Microsoft Office, email, data management, and general computer usage.
▪ Ability to work well independently as well as part of a team.
▪ Excellent time management skills, organizational skills; self-motivated and detail oriented.
▪ Ability to adapt quickly and be flexible in changing situations.
How to Apply:
Mail or email resume, cover letter and references to:
Open Doors for Youth Attn: Cindy Ley
554 3rd St. NW Suite 201
Elk River, MN 55330